Clinical Practice Points
A fibroepithelial polyp of the penis is a rare, underrecognized lesion first described by J.F. Fetsch. Since then, several cases have been reported in the literature.
Here we present a case of a 78-year-old man with a giant fibroepithelial polyp that originated from the glans penis. Our case is highly unusual compared with the previous literature, because, for the first time, we observed the development of squamous cell carcinoma from the epithelium of the polyp.
Therefore, we suggest that total excision and histopathologic evaluation should always be undertaken in all lesions that affect this region.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Giant fibroepithelial polyp of the glans penis.Korean J Urol. 2009; 6: 619-621
- A huge unusual mass on the penile skin: acrochordon.Int Urol Nephrol. 2004; 36: 563-565
- Genito-urinary polyps: summary of the 10-year experiences of a single institute.Int Urol Nephrol. 2008; 40: 901-907
- Penile fibroepithelial polyp.Arch Esp Urol. 2010; 63: 309-312
- Lymphedematous fibroepithelial polyps of the glans penis and prepuce: a clinicopathologic study of 7 cases demonstrating a strong association with chronic condom catheter use.Hum Pathol. 2004; 35: 190-195
- Fibroepithelial polyp originating from the glans penis in a child.Int J Urol. 2004; 11: 187-188
- Fibroepithelial polyp of glans penis.Urology. 2005; 65: 593
- Giant fibroepithelial polyp of the penis associated with long-term use of condom catheter.Can J Urol. 2007; 14: 3656-3659
- Congenital fibroepithelial polyp of the penoscrotal junction.Korean J Urol. 2008; 49: 961-964
- Fibroepithelial polyp of the prepuce: a rare complication of long-term condom catheter usage.Indian J Urol. 2008; 24: 263-264
- Lymphedematous fibroepithelial polyp of the glans penis non-associated with condom catheter use.APMIS. 2008; 116: 215-218
- Fibroepithelial polyp of glans penis in a man who practiced genital hanging kung fu.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008; 59: S35-S37
- Lymphedematous fibroepithelial polyps of the penis associated with long-term condom catheter use: case report and review of the literature.J Cutan Pathol. 2009; 36: 906-909
- Fibroepithelial polyp of glans penis: a case report.Anticancer Res. 2010; 30: 1482
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) sequences in premalignant and malignant skin tumors.Arch Virol. 1996; 141: 2217-2223
- Squamous cell carcinoma arising from a fibroepithelial polyp.Ann Plast Surg. 2005; 55: 687-688
Published online: September 17, 2012
Accepted: July 21, 2012
Received in revised form: June 14, 2012
Received: March 11, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.