Many prognostic biomarkers associated with androgen signaling have been proposed in PC. The role of tripartite motif (TRIM) proteins remains unclear in PC. We investigated TRIM protein 47 (TRIM47) expression levels in human prostate tissues.
We performed immunohistochemistry using original TRIM47 antibody in prostate tissues obtained by radical prostatectomy (n = 105). Stained slides were evaluated for the proportion and staining intensity of immunoreactive cells. Total immunoreactivity (IR) scores (range, 0-8) were calculated as the sum of the proportion and intensity scores. TRIM47 expression levels were confirmed by quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR). Associations between the clinicopathologic features of the patients and their TRIM47 status were analyzed.
Western blot analysis validated the specificity of the anti-TRIM47 antibody in 293T cells. TRIM47 expression levels were found to be significantly increased in PC compared to benign tissues by both immunohistochemistry (P < .0001) and qRT-PCR (P = .003). Additionally, advanced pathologic stage (≥ T3b) was found to be associated with high TRIM47 IR scores (≥ 4; P = .04). Furthermore, high TRIM47 IR scores were also significantly correlated with worse cancer-specific survival rates in multivariate regression analyses (hazard ratio, 6.82; P = .016).
The results of the present study indicated differential TRIM47 expression levels in human prostate tissues compared to benign tissues. Because high levels of TRIM47 expression were found to be a strong prognostic factor in PC, TRIM47 may represent a novel therapeutic target.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- New therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer: efficacy and safety.Eur Urol. 2011; 60: 279-290
- Absolute prostate-specific antigen value after androgen deprivation is a strong independent predictor of survival in new metastatic prostate cancer: data from Southwest Oncology Group trial 9346 (INT-0162).J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 3984-3990
- Involvement of estrogen receptors in prostatic tissues.Int J Urol. 2012; 19: 512-522
- Transcriptional network of androgen receptor in porstate cancer.Int J Urol. 2013; 20: 756-768
- TRIM proteins and cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2011; 11: 792-804
- TRIM24 mediates ligand-dependent activation of androgen receptor and is repressed by a bromodomain-containing protein, BRD7, in prostate cancer cells.Biocim Biophys Acta. 2009; 1793: 1828-1836
- Expression of androgen and estrogen signaling components and stem cell markers to predict cancer progression and cancer-specific survival in patients with metastatic prostate cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 4625-4635
- TRIM68 regulates ligand dependent transcription of androgen receptor in prostate cancer.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 3486-3494
- Characterization of a second member of the sentrin family of ubiquitin-like proteins.J Biol Chem. 1998; 273: 11349-11353
- Differential expression of estrogen-related receptors β and γ and their clinical significance in human prostate cancer.Cancer Sci. 2010; 101: 646-651
- Increased expression of estrogen-related receptor alpha (ERRα) is a negative prognostic predictor in human prostate cancer.Int J Cancer. 2007; 120: 2325-2330
- Association of p53 protein expression with tumor cell proliferation rate and clinical outcome in node-negative breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993; 85: 200-206
- Clinical outcomes of castration-resistant prostate cancer treatments administered as third or fourth line following failure of docetaxel and other second-line treatment: results of an Italian multicentre study.Eur Urol. 2015; 265: e12-e21
- The proteasome inhibitor PS-341 inhibits growth, induces apotosis, and overcomes drug resistance inhuman multiple myeloma cells.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 3071-3076
- Cloning and characterization of the RBCC728/TRIM36 zinc-binding protein from the tumor suppressor gene region at chromosome 5q22.3.Gene. 2004; 332: 45-50
- Amplication of TRIM44: paring a prognostic target with potential therapeutic strategy.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106: 1-12
- Presence of serum tripartite motif–containing 21 antibodies in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Cancer Sci. 2006; 97: 380-386
- A 4-gene signature predicts survival of patients with resected adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, junction, and gastric cardia.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 1995-2004
- TRIM44 interacts with and stabilizes terf, a TRIM ubiquitin E3 ligase.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009; 383: 263-268
- Efp targets 14-3-3 sigma for proteolysis and promotes breast tumor growth.Nature. 2002; 417: 871-875
- TRIM25 RING-finger E3 ubiquitin ligase is essential for RIG-I-mediated antiviral activity.Nature. 2007; 446: 916-920
Published online: January 27, 2016
Accepted: January 19, 2016
Received: October 1, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.