We aimed to investigate the outcomes of interferon alfa and sequencing tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
Patients and Methods
This multicenter study assessing the efficacy of TKIs after interferon alfa therapy in the first-line setting in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Patients (n = 104) from 8 centers in Turkey, who had been treated with interferon alfa in the first-line setting, were included in the study. Prognostic factors were evaluated for progression-free survival (PFS).
The median age of the patients was 57 years. The median PFS of the patients treated with interferon alfa in the first-line was 3.6 months. A total of 61 patients received TKIs (sunitinib, n = 58; sorafenib, n = 3) after progression while on interferon alfa. The median PFS among the TKI-treated patients was 13.2 months. In the univariate analysis for interferon alfa treatment, neutrophil and hemoglobin level, platelet count, and Karnofsky performance status were the significant factors associated with PFS. In the univariate analysis for TKI treatment, neutrophil and hemoglobin levels were the significant factors for PFS. The median total PFS of the patients who had been treated with first-line interferon alfa and second-line TKIs was 24.9 months.
This study showed that first-line interferon alfa treatment before TKIs may improve the total PFS in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- New perspectives on the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: an introduction and historical overview.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 1-3
- Clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: today and tomorrow.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 45-50
- Renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 865-875
- Systemic therapy for renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 2000; 163: 408-417
- Immunotherapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Urol Clin North Am. 1993; 20: 283-295
- Phase III randomized trial of interleukin-2 with or without lymphokine-activated killer cells in the treatment of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.Cancer. 1995; 76: 824-832
- Subcutaneous interleukin-2 plus interferon alfa-2a in metastatic renal cancer: an outpatient multicenter trial.J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11: 1809-1816
- Interferon-alfa as a comparative treatment for clinical trials of new therapies against advanced renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 289-296
- Vascular endothelial growth factor induced by hypoxia may mediate hypoxia-initiated angiogenesis.Nature. 1992; 359: 843-845
- In vivo antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptors: determination of a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship.Clin Cancer Res. 2003; 9: 327-337
- Sorafenib in advanced clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 125-134
- Activity of SU11248, a multitargeted inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor and platelet-derived growth factor receptor, in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 16-24
- Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 115-124
- Overall survival and updated results for sunitinib compared with interferon alfa in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3584-3590
- Interferon treatment for Japanese patients with favorable-risk metastatic renal cell carcinoma in the era of targeted therapy.Korean J Urol. 2015; 56: 205-211
- Sequential therapy and prognostic factors in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: single centre experience.J BUON. 2014; 19: 1062-1069
- Sunitinib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2516-2524
- Prognostic factors for overall survival in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted agents: results from a large, multicenter study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5794-5799
Published online: May 02, 2016
Accepted: April 25, 2016
Received in revised form: April 20, 2016
Received: October 14, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.