Carboplatin and paclitaxel (CP) had shown moderate efficacy in treating castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) before standard first-line docetaxel chemotherapy became available. Currently, for patients with homology-directed repair gene defects as well as for unselected patients, platinum chemotherapy is administered after all standard treatments have been ineffective. Here, we retrospectively studied the efficacy and safety of CP administered as the first-, second-, and third-line chemotherapy in patients with CRPC.
Patients and Methods
A retrospective chart review was performed for 58 patients with CRPC who received CP between 2001 and 2018 in a single institution. Twenty-seven patients received CP as the first-line chemotherapy, 21 as the second-line after docetaxel, and 10 as the third-line after docetaxel and cabazitaxel. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) responses (> 50% decline of PSA from baseline), progression-free survival, overall survival, and adverse events were examined.
PSA responses at any time were 55.6%, 19.0%, and 10.0%; PSA responses at 12 weeks were 48.1%, 14.3%, and 10.0%; the median progression-free survival was 3, 1, and 1 month; and the median overall survival was 19, 11, and 6 months, respectively, for the first-, second-, and third-line settings. The only patient who achieved exceptional and durable PSA response in the third-line setting had a deleterious germline BRCA2 mutation (5645C>A). The adverse event profile was favorable.
CP shows moderate efficacy against CRPC in the first-line setting, but shows little effect in the third-line setting. CP after docetaxel and cabazitaxel may be recommended in selected patients with CRPC with homology-directed repair gene defects.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Monthly paclitaxel and carboplatin with oral estramustine phosphate in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2005; 10: 333-337
- Efficacy of carboplatin-taxane combinations in the management of castration-resistant prostate cancer: a pooled analysis of seven prospective clinical trials.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 312-318
- Paclitaxel, estramustine phosphate, and carboplatin in patients with advanced prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 44-53
- A phase II study of weekly paclitaxel/estramustine/carboplatin in hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2006; 5: 131-137
- Randomized phase II study comparing paclitaxel and carboplatin versus mitoxantrone in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Urology. 2006; 67: 354-359
- Carboplatin plus paclitaxel therapy after docetaxel in men with metastatic castrate resistant prostate cancer.Urol Oncol. 2011; 29: 676-681
- Paclitaxel in combination with carboplatin as salvage treatment in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer: a Hellenic oncology research group multicenter phase II study.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2012; 70: 161-168
- DNA-repair defects and olaparib in metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1697-1708
- Integrative clinical genomics of advanced prostate cancer.Cell. 2015; 161: 1215-1228
- Circulating tumor DNA genomics correlate with resistance to abiraterone and enzalutamide in prostate cancer.Cancer Discov. 2018; 8: 444-457
- Biallelic inactivation of BRCA2 in platinum-sensitive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2016; 69: 992-995
- Substantial inter-individual and limited intra-individual genomic diversity among tumors from men with metastatic prostate cancer.Nat Med. 2016; 22: 369-378
- Clinical outcome of prostate cancer patients with germline DNA repair mutations: retrospective analysis from an international study.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 687-693
- Management of patients with advanced prostate cancer: the report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference APCCC 2017.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 178-211
- Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 1754-1760
- From FastQ data to high confidence variant calls: the Genome Analysis Toolkit best practices pipeline.Curr Protoc Bioinformatics. 2013; 43 (11.10.1-33)
- A program for annotating and predicting the effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms, SnpEff: SNPs in the genome of Drosophila melanogaster strain w1118; iso-2; iso-3.Fly (Austin). 2012; 6: 80-92
- Multinational, double-blind, phase III study of prednisone and either satraplatin or placebo in patients with castrate-refractory prostate cancer progressing after prior chemotherapy: the SPARC trial.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5431-5438
- Phase II study of satraplatin and prednisone in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: a pharmacogenetic assessment of outcome and toxicity.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2013; 11: 229-237
- Phase II trial of cisplatin plus prednisone in docetaxel-refractory castration-resistant prostate cancer patients.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011; 67: 1455-1461
- Comparison of estramustine phosphate, methotrexate and cis-platinum in patients with advanced, hormone refractory prostate cancer.J Urol. 1983; 129: 1001-1006
- Anti-tumour activity of platinum compounds in advanced prostate cancer-a systematic literature review.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 975-984
- Docetaxel plus prednisone or mitoxantrone plus prednisone for advanced prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1502-1512
- Docetaxel and estramustine compared with mitoxantrone and prednisone for advanced refractory prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1513-1520
- Circulating cell-free DNA to guide prostate cancer treatment with PARP inhibition.Cancer Discov. 2017; 7: 1006-1017
- Inherited DNA-repair gene mutations in men with metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 443-453
- Japanese phase I study of cabazitaxel in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2015; 20: 1026-1034
Published online: June 11, 2019
Accepted: April 9, 2019
Received: March 14, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.