- •Optimal chemotherapy for cisplatin-treated metastatic urothelial carcinoma is unclear.
- •There is no significant difference in outcomes between platinum retreatment and non-platinum chemotherapy.
- •If over a year has elapsed from cisplatin-based chemotherapy for localized disease, return to platinum is superior over non-platinum regimens.
- •This data is also relevant for those patients who are not ideal candidates for immune-oncology therapy.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International phase III trial assessing neoadjuvant cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: long-term results of the BA06 30894 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2171-2177
- Multicenter assessment of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 241-249
- Bladder Cancer, Version 3.2020, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020; 18: 329-354
- Treatment of non-metastatic muscle-invasive bladder cancer: AUA/ASCO/ASTRO/SUO Guideline.J Urol. 2017; 198: 552-559
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in upper tract urothelial carcinoma (the POUT trial): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1268-1277
- A prospective randomized trial comparing MVAC and CISCA chemotherapy for patients with metastatic urothelial tumors.J Clin Oncol. 1990; 8: 1050-1055
- Long-term follow-up of a phase III intergroup study of cisplatin alone or in combination with methotrexate, vinblastine, and doxorubicin in patients with metastatic urothelial carcinoma: a cooperative group study.J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 2564-2569
- Randomized phase III study comparing paclitaxel/cisplatin/gemcitabine and gemcitabine/cisplatin in patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer without prior systemic therapy: EORTC Intergroup Study 30987.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1107-1113
- Immuno-oncology in urothelial carcinoma: who or what will ultimately sit on the iron throne?.Immunotherapy. 2017; 9: 951-954
- Avelumab maintenance therapy for advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1218-1230
- Erdafitinib in locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 338-348
- Pivotal trial of enfortumab vedotin in urothelial carcinoma after platinum and anti-programmed death 1/programmed death ligand 1 therapy.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 2592-2600
- Treatment of patients with metastatic urothelial cancer “unfit” for cisplatin-based chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2432-2438
- FDA approval summary: atezolizumab or pembrolizumab for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma ineligible for cisplatin-containing chemotherapy.Oncologist. 2019; 24: 563-569
- Comparative effectiveness of gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin as neoadjuvant therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer.Cancer. 2015; 121: 2586-2593
- Cisplatin-based first-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma after previous perioperative cisplatin-based therapy.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015; 13: 178-184
- Cisplatin- versus non-cisplatin-based first-line chemotherapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma previously treated with perioperative cisplatin.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016; 14: 331-340
- Prognostic factors in patients with advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelial tract experiencing treatment failure with platinum-containing regimens.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1850-1855
- Impact of the number of prior lines of therapy and prior perioperative chemotherapy in patients receiving salvage therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma: implications for trial design.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015; 13: 71-79
- Time from prior chemotherapy enhances prognostic risk grouping in the second-line setting of advanced urothelial carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of pooled, prospective phase 2 trials.Eur Urol. 2013; 63: 717-723
- Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026
- Sites of metastasis and association with clinical outcome in advanced stage cancer patients treated with immunotherapy.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 857
- Opdivo (nivolumab) significantly improves disease free-survival vs. placebo as adjuvant therapy for patients with high-risk, muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma in phase 3 CheckMate -274 Trial [news release]. Princeton, New Jersey. Published September 24, 2020.(Available at:)https://news.bms.com/news/corporate-financial/2020/Opdivo-nivolumab-Significantly-Improves-Disease-Free-Survival-vs.-Placebo-as-Adjuvant-Therapy-for-Patients-with-High-Risk-Muscle-Invasive-Urothelial-Carcinoma-in-Phase-3-CheckMate--274-Trial/default.aspxDate accessed: September 24, 2020