- •Herein, we investigated the real-world efficacy of nivolumab and cabozantinib as second-line therapy in a cohort of 343 patients in a real-world setting.
- •We observed an advantage for nivolumab in terms of overall survival (OS) in almost all the subgroups analyzed, without reporting a statistically significant difference, except for patients with bone metastases or progressed during first-line sunitinib, characterized by longer survival with cabozantinib.
- •Median progression-free survival (PFS) was higher with cabozantinib in the majority of the subgroup analyses and resulted statistically significantly longer in male patients, in clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) histology and in the good risk subgroup.
- •According to our results, nivolumab and cabozantinib were active in mRCC patients, showing distinct results when stratified into clinico-pathological features.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; 69 (2019 Jan): 7-34
- The 2016 WHO classification of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs-Part A: Renal, Penile, and Testicular Tumours.Eur Urol. 2016; 70: 93-105
- Global surveillance of trends in cancer survival 2000-14 (CONCORD-3): analysis of individual records for 37 513 025 patients diagnosed with one of 18 cancers from 322 population-based registries in 71 countries.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1023-1075
- Pembrolizumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1116-1127
- Lenvatinib plus Pembrolizumab or Everolimus for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1289-1300
- Avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1103-1115
- Nivolumab plus cabozantinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 829-841
- Final overall survival and molecular analysis in immotion151, a phase 3 trial comparing atezolizumab plus bevacizumab vs sunitinib in patients with previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2021.5981
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib in advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1277-1290
- Prognostic factors for overall survival in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted agents: results from a large, multicenter study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5794-5799
- Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 115-124
- Pazopanib in locally advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase III trial.J ClinOncol. 2010; 28: 1061-1068
- RECIST 1.1-Update and clarification: From the RECIST committee.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 62: 132-137
- Balancing efficacy and quality of life measurements among metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC) studies.Oncoscience. 2021 Mar 21; 8: 40-45
- Quality of life assessment in renal cell carcinoma Phase II and III clinical trials published between 2010 and 2020: a systematic review.Future Oncol. 2021; 17: 2671-2681
- Molecular Mechanisms of Resistance to Immunotherapy and Antiangiogenic Treatments in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13: 5981
- Determinants of resistance to VEGF-TKI and immune checkpoint inhibitors in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J ExpClinCancer Res. 2021; 40: 186
- Second-line treatment in renal cell carcinoma: clinical experience and decision making.Ther Adv Urol. 2021; 1317562872211022870
- Clinical decision-making for immunotherapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Curr Opin Urol. 2018; 28: 29-34
- Biomarker-Oriented Therapy in Bladder and Renal Cancer.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 2832
- A network meta-analysis of efficacy and safety of first-line and second-line therapies for the management of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J ClinPharmTher. 2021; 46: 35-49
- Second-line cabozantinib versus nivolumab in advanced renal cell carcinoma: Systematic review and indirect treatment comparison.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2019; 139: 143-148
- CheckMate 025 Randomized Phase 3 Study: outcomes by key baseline factors and prior therapy for nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2017; 72: 962-971
- TK Inhibitor Pazopanib Primes DCs by Downregulation of the β-Catenin Pathway.Cancer Immunol Res. 2018; 6: 711-722
- Real-World Data on Cabozantinib in Previously Treated Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Focus on Sequences and Prognostic Factors.Cancers (Basel). 2019; 12: 84
- Cabozantinib After a Previous Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor in Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Retrospective Multi-Institutional Analysis.Target Oncol. 2020; 15: 495-501
- Cabozantinib, a new standard of care for patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma and bone metastases? Subgroup analysis of the METEOR Trial.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 765-772
- Cabozantinib targets bone microenvironment modulating human osteoclast and osteoblast functions.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 20113-20121https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.15390