- •Docetaxel is the standard chemotherapy treatment in metastatic prostate cancer.
- •Tolerance is an issue of concern in 3-weekly docetaxel schemes.
- •A 2-weekly docetaxel scheme may be as effective as a 3-weekly scheme.
- •A 2-weekly scheme may be more suitable for older and more comorbid patients.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Studies on prostatic cancer: I. The effect of castration, of estrogen and of androgen injection on serum phosphatases in metastatic carcinoma of the prostate.CA Cancer J Clin. 1972; 22: 232-240
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer.JAMA. 2005; 294: 238-244
- Docetaxel plus prednisone or mitoxantrone plus prednisone for advanced prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1502-1512
- Docetaxel and estramustine compared with mitoxantrone and prednisone for advanced refractory prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1513-1520
- Chemohormonal therapy in metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 737-746
- Addition of docetaxel, zoledronic acid, or both to first-line long-term hormone therapy in prostate cancer (STAMPEDE): survival results from an adaptive, multiarm, multistage, platform randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1163-1177
- Prostate cancer: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 1119-1134
- Advanced prostate cancer: AUA/ASTRO/SUO guideline PART I.J Urol. 2021; 205: 14-21
- Clinical practice guidelines in oncology.Prostate Cancer. 2019; (Version 03.2022 [Internet]. [last updated January 10, 2022Accessed February 4, 2022]. Available at)
- Initial management of noncastrate advanced, recurrent, or metastatic prostate cancer: ASCO guideline update.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 1274-1305
- EAU-EANM-ESTRO-ESUR-SIOG guidelines on prostate cancer. Part II-2020 update: treatment of relapsing and metastatic prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 263-282
- Prostate cancer in the elderly.Cancer. 2012; 118: 3062-3070
- Tolerability and efficacy of docetaxel in older men with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) in the TAX 327 trial.J Geriatr Oncol. 2014; 5: 119-126
- 2-weekly versus 3-weekly docetaxel to treat castration-resistant advanced prostate cancer: a randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 117-124
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- CONUT: a tool for controlling nutritional status. First validation in a hospital population.Nutr Hosp. 2005; 20: 38-45
- Updated prognostic model for predicting overall survival in first-line chemotherapy for patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 671-677
- Inpatient hospitalization of oncology patients: are we missing an opportunity for end-of-life care?.J Oncol Pract. 2013; 9: 51-54
- Screening for vulnerability in older cancer patients: the ONCODAGE prospective multicenter cohort study.PloS One. 2014; 9e115060
- Screening tools for multidimensional health problems warranting a geriatric assessment in older cancer patients: an update on SIOG recommendations†.Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2015; 26: 288-300
- Cardiovascular mortality in patients with metastatic prostate cancer exposed to androgen deprivation therapy: a population-based study.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015; 13: e123-e130
- Chemotherapy-induced neutropenia.Cancer. 2004; 100: 228-237
- Managing cancer patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: an ESMO multidisciplinary expert consensus.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 1320-1335
COVID-19 patient care information: cancer treatment & supportive care [Internet]. ASCO. 2020 [Accessed January 31, 2022; last updated december 13, 2021]. Available at: https://www.asco.org/covid-resources/patient-care-info/cancer-treatment-supportive-care
- Adapting care for older cancer patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: recommendations from the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) COVID-19 working group.J Geriatr Oncol. 2020; 11: 1190-1198
- First-line treatment in senior adults with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: a prospective international registry.Urol Oncol Semin Orig Investig. 2016; 34: 234.e21-234.e29
- Docetaxel-based chemotherapy in elderly patients (age 75 and older) with castration-resistant prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2009; 55: 1368-1375
- Biweekly administration of low-dose docetaxel in hormone-resistant prostate cancer: pilot study of an effective subtoxic therapy.Clin Prostate Cancer. 2003; 2: 46-49
- A retrospective feasibility study of biweekly, reduced-dose docetaxel in Asian patients with castrate-resistant, metastatic prostate cancer.BMC Urol. 2017; 17: 63
- A retrospective feasibility study of biweekly docetaxel in patients with high-risk metastatic castration-naïve prostate cancer.BMC Urol. 2019; 19: 30
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment adds information to Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status in elderly cancer patients: an Italian Group for Geriatric Oncology Study.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 494-502
- Updated recommendations of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology on prostate cancer management in older patients.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl. 2019; 116: 116-136
- Management of prostate cancer in older patients: updated recommendations of a working group of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: e404-e414
- Management of prostate cancer in elderly patients: recommendations of a task force of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology.Eur Urol. 2017; 72: 521-531
- The Mini-Cog as a screen for dementia: validation in a population-based sample.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 1451-1454
- Comparing comorbidity scales: attending physician score versus the cumulative illness rating scale for geriatrics.J Geriatr Oncol. 2016; 7: 90-98
- Studies of illness in the aged: the index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185: 914-919
- «Mini-mental state». A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients.Nutr Burbank Los Angel Cty Calif. 1999; 15: 116-122