- •Radical nephroureterectomy is the standard for upper tract urothelial carcinoma.
- •Overall survival (OS) after radical nephroureterectomy (RNU) is still poor.
- •Intermediate clinical endpoints (ICE) help expediting approval of novel treatments.
- •We aimed to identify the most informative ICE for predicting OS after RNU.
- •Metastasis within 3-years from RNU is the most informative ICE for predicting OS.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Upper Urinary tract tumors: variant histology versus urothelial carcinoma.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2021; 19: 117-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2020.11.004
- Urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis and ureter: does location make a difference?.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: 45-49.e1https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2019.10.023
- Higher than expected and significantly increasing incidence of upper tract urothelial carcinoma. A population based study.World J Urol. 2021; (0123456789): 1-7https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-020-03576-3
- European Association of Urology Guidelines on Upper Urinary Tract Urothelial Carcinoma : 2020 Update.Eur Urol. 2021; 9: 80-81https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.05.042
- Segmental ureterectomy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative studies.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: e10-e20https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2019.10.015
- Oncologic outcomes of radical nephroureterectomy (RNU).Transl Androl Urol. 2020; 9: 1841-1852https://doi.org/10.21037/tau.2019.12.29
- ctDNA guiding adjuvant immunotherapy in urothelial carcinoma.Nature. 2021; 595: 432-437https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03642-9
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in upper tract urothelial carcinoma (the POUT trial): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1268-1277https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30415-3
- Surrogate endpoints in clinical trials: definition and operational criteria.Stat Med. 1989; 3https://doi.org/10.1177/009286159603000230
- Pathological downstaging as a novel endpoint for the development of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma.BJU Int. 2019; : 665-671https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.14719
- Pathologic stage as a surrogate for oncologic outcomes after receipt of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for high-grade upper tract urothelial carcinoma.Urol Oncol Semin Orig Investig. 2020; 38: 933.e7-933.e12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2020.04.025
- First results from the phase 3 CheckMate 274 trial of adjuvant nivolumab vs placebo in patients who underwent radical surgery for high-risk muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma (MIUC).J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 391
- The 2016 WHO classification of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs-Part B: prostate and bladder tumours.Eur Urol. 2016; 70: 106-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2016.02.028
- Impact of previous, simultaneous or subsequent bladder cancer on prognosis after radical nephroureterectomy for upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma.J Urol. 2019; 202: 1127-1135
- ASA Physical status classifications: a study of consistency of ratings.Anesthesiology. 1978; 49: 239-243https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-197810000-00003
- Updates in the Eighth Edition of the Tumor-Node-Metastasis Staging Classification for Urologic Cancers.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 560-569https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2017.12.018
- The 2016 WHO Classification of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs—Part A: Renal, penile, and testicular tumours.Eur Urol. 2016; 70: 93-105https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2016.02.029
- Prognostic role of lymphovascular invasion in patients with urothelial carcinoma of the upper urinary tract : an international validation study.Eur Urol. 2010; 57: 1064-1071https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2009.12.029
- Influence of positive surgical margin status after radical nephroureterectomy on upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma survival.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3613-3620https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2453-9
- Definitions, end points, and clinical trial designs for non–muscle-invasive bladder cancer: recommendations from the international bladder cancer group.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 1935-1944https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.64.4070
- Estimation of study time reduction using surrogate end points rather than overall survival in oncology clinical trials.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 642-647https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.8351
- Neoadjuvant versus adjuvant chemotherapy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma.Urol Oncol Semin Orig Investig. 2020; 38: 684.e9-684.e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2020.03.008
- Surrogate endpoints for overall survival for patients with metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer in the CHAARTED trial.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2020; 23: 638-645https://doi.org/10.1038/s41391-020-0231-5
- Metastasis-free survival is a strong Surrogate of overall survival in localized prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 3097-3104https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.73.9987
- A systematic review of trial-level meta-analyses measuring the strength of association between surrogate end-points and overall survival in oncology.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 106: 196-211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2018.11.012
- Prognostic factors, recurrence, and survival in transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract: A 30-year experience in 252 patients.Urology. 1998; 52: 594-601https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(98)00295-7
- Upper urinary tract urothelial cell carcinoma: location as a predictive factor for concomitant bladder carcinoma.World J Urol. 2013; 31: 141-145https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-012-0877-2
- Multifocal carcinoma in situ of the upper tract is associated with high risk of bladder cancer recurrence.Eur Urol. 2012; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.02.042
- Oncologic outcomes following three different approaches to the distal ureter and bladder cuff in nephroureterectomy for primary upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2010; 57: 963-969https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2009.12.032
- The role of prior bladder cancer on recurrence in patients treated with radical nephroureterectomy.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2021; : S15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2021.12.006
- European Association of Urology Guidelines on Upper Urinary Tract Urothelial Carcinoma: 2017 Update.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 111-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2017.07.036
- Comparison of pathological stage in patients treated with and without neoadjuvant chemotherapy for high risk upper tract urothelial carcinoma.J Urol. 2018; 200: 68-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2017.12.054
- High response rates to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in high-grade upper tract urothelial carcinoma.Urology. 2019; 129: 146-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2019.01.058
- Platinum-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy improves oncological outcomes in patients with locally advanced upper tract urothelial carcinoma.Eur Urol Focus. 2018; 4: 946-953https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euf.2017.03.013
- A feasibility study of preoperative pembrolizumab before radical nephroureterectomy in patients with high-risk, upper tract urothelial carcinoma: PURE-02.Urol Oncol Semin Orig Investig. 2022; 40: 10.e1-10.e6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2021.05.014
- Effect of adjuvant radiotherapy on survival in patients with locoregional urothelial malignancies of the upper urinary tract.Anticancer Res. 2016; 36: 4051-4055
- Prophylactic intravesical chemotherapy to prevent bladder tumors after nephroureterectomy for primary upper urinary tract urothelial carcinomas: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Urol Int. 2013; 91: 291-296https://doi.org/10.1159/000350508