- •In small cell carcinoma of the bladder, neoadjuvant chemotherapy improves survival.
- •Pathologic response is associated with superior long-term survival.
- •Metastatic disease is associated with poor clinical outcomes.
- •Small cell carcinoma of the bladder harbors high tumor mutation burden.
- •ERCC2 mutations are associated with complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy.
Patients and Methods
Abbreviations:CNS (Central nervous system), DFS (Disease-free survival), FGA (Fraction of genome altered), HR (Hazard ratio), M0 (Non-metastatic), M1 (Metastatic), MSK-IMPACT (Memorial Sloan Kettering Integrated Mutation Profiling of Actionable Cancer Targets), NAC (Neoadjuvant chemotherapy), NOS (Not otherwise specified), OS (Overall survival), PFS (Progression-free survival), RC (Radical cystectomy), SCCB (Small cell carcinoma of the bladder), TMB (Tumor mutation burden)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A population-based study of incidence and patient survival of small cell carcinoma in the United States, 1992-2010.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 185
- Should patients with extrapulmonary small-cell carcinoma receive prophylactic cranial irradiation?.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 1215-1221
- Mutational landscape of metastatic cancer revealed from prospective clinical sequencing of 10,000 patients.Nat Med. 2017; 23: 703-713
- COSMIC: somatic cancer genetics at high-resolution.Nucleic Acids Res. 2017; 45: D777-D783
- Identifying recurrent mutations in cancer reveals widespread lineage diversity and mutational specificity.Nat Biotechnol. 2016; 34: 155-163
- OncoKB: a precision oncology knowledge base.OncoKB: A Precision Oncology Knowledge Base. JCO Precis Oncol. Jul;2017:PO.17.00011. doi:10.1200/PO.17.00011. Epub 2017 May 16. PMID: 28890946; PMCID: PMC5586540. 2017;
- Somatic ERCC2 mutations correlate with cisplatin sensitivity in muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma.Cancer Discov. 2014; 4: 1140-1153
- ERCC2 helicase domain mutations confer nucleotide excision repair deficiency and drive cisplatin sensitivity in muscle-invasive bladder cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 977-988
- A method and server for predicting damaging missense mutations.Nat Methods. 2010; 7: 248-249
- Treatment outcomes for small cell carcinoma of the bladder: results from a UK patient retrospective cohort study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021; 110: 1143-1150
- Survival of contemporary patients with non-metastatic small-cell carcinoma of urinary bladder, according to alternative treatment modalities.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: e450-e456
- Prognostic variables in patients with non-metastatic small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the bladder: a population-based study.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019; 17: e724-e732
- Small-cell carcinoma of the bladder: 20-year single-institution retrospective review.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017; 15: e337-e343
- Treatment patterns and survival outcomes for patients with small cell carcinoma of the bladder.Eur Urol Focus. 2018; 4: 900-906
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a large, retrospective study from the French Genito-urinary tumor group.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18 (e293): 295-303
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in small cell urothelial cancer improves pathologic downstaging and long-term outcomes: results from a retrospective study at the MD Anderson Cancer Center.Eur Urol. 2013; 64: 307-313
- Outcome of recurrent and metastatic small cell carcinoma of the bladder.BMC Urol. 2009; 9: 4
- Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in advanced or metastatic bladder cancer: results of a large, randomized, multinational, multicenter, phase III study.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 3068-3077
- Small-cell carcinomas of the bladder and lung are characterized by a convergent but distinct pathogenesis.Clin Cancer Res. 2018; 24: 1965-1973
- Urothelial cancers with small cell variant histology have confirmed high tumor mutational burden, frequent tp53 and rb mutations, and a unique gene expression profile.Eur Urol Oncol. 2021; 4: 297-300
- Helicase domain mutations confer nucleotide excision repair deficiency and drive cisplatin sensitivity in muscle-invasive bladder cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 977-988
- DNA damage response and repair gene alterations are associated with improved survival in patients with platinum-treated advanced urothelial carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 3610-3618
- Clinical validation of chemotherapy response biomarker ERCC2 in muscle-invasive urothelial bladder carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 1094-1096
- Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026
- Enfortumab vedotin in previously treated advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1125-1135
- Immune exclusion is frequent in small-cell carcinoma of the bladder.Dis Markers. 2019; 20192532518
- PD-L1 expression in urothelial carcinoma with predominant or pure variant histology: concordance among 3 commonly used and commercially available antibodies.Am J Surg Pathol. 2019; 43: 920-927
- A phase II trial of durvalumab and tremelimumab in metastatic, non-urothelial carcinoma of the urinary tract.Cancer Med. 2021; 10: 1074-1083
- Results of a multicenter, phase 2 study of nivolumab and ipilimumab for patients with advanced rare genitourinary malignancies.Cancer. 2021; 127: 840-849
- Expression of Nectin-4 in Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma, in Morphologic Variants, and Nonurothelial Histotypes.Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2021; 29 (Sep 1. PMID: 33901032; PMCID: PMC84290501): 619-625https://doi.org/10.1097/PAI.0000000000000938