- •Enzalutamide is approved for various indications in prostate cancer at 160 mg daily.
- •25% of patients discontinue treatment for adverse events and many require dose reduction.
- •Retrospective chart review of patients who started at lower dose.
- •Starting patients upfront on enzalutamide at 50% of recommended dose or less is safe and effective.
Patients and Methods
Abbreviations:CHUM (Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Martinique), CT (Computed tomography), MDV3100 (initial code for enzalutamide), NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network), OS (Overall survival), PET (Positron emission tomography), PFS (Progression-free survival), RMAA (Restricted mean attained age), RMST (Restricted mean survival time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The effect of age on cancer-specific mortality in patients with prostate cancer: a population-based study across all stages.Cancer Causes Control. 2020; 31: 283-290
- Effect of comorbidity on prostate cancer-specific mortality: a prospective observational study.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 3566-3574
- Comorbidities, treatment and ensuing survival in men with prostate cancer.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 492-499
- Age dependence of modern clinical risk groups for localized prostate cancer—a population-based study.Cancer. 2020; 126: 1691-1699
- Prostate cancer, version 2.2019, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019; 17: 479-505
- Limitations of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network((R)) (NCCN((R))) Guidelines for Prediction of limited life expectancy in men with prostate cancer.J Urol. 2017; 197: 356-362
- Life expectancy estimation in prostate cancer patients.Can Urol Assoc J. 2012; 6: 374-375
- Length of life gained with surgical treatment of prostate cancer: a population-based analysis.Scand J Urol. 2015; 49: 275-281
- Ethical pitfalls when estimating life expectancy for patients with prostate cancer.J Urol. 2018; 200: 709-711
- Enzalutamide with standard first-line therapy in metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 121-131
- Increased survival with enzalutamide in prostate cancer after chemotherapy.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1187-1197
- Enzalutamide in men with chemotherapy-naive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: extended analysis of the phase 3 PREVAIL study.Eur Urol. 2017; 71: 151-154
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Astellas Pharma US Inc. Highlights of prescribing information: XTANDI® (enzalutamide) capsules for oral use. Northbrook, IL 60062; San Francisco, CA 94105; 2012. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/203415s015lbl.pdf.
- Enzalutamide and survival in nonmetastatic, castration-resistant prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2197-2206
- Efficacy and safety of enzalutamide versus bicalutamide for patients with metastatic prostate cancer (TERRAIN): a randomised, double-blind, phase 2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 153-163
Astellas. Enzalutamide. Full prescribing information. 2020. https://www.astellas.us/docs/12a005-enz-wpi.pdf.
- Effectiveness of first-line abiraterone versus enzalutamide among patients >/=80 years of age with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: a retrospective propensity score-weighted comparative cohort study.Eur J Cancer. 2021; 152: 215-222
- Low-dose enzalutamide in late-elderly patients (>/= 75 years old) presenting with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: e660-e6e8
- Discussion of treatment options for metastatic hormone sensitive prostate cancer patients.Front Oncol. 2020; 10587981
- Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship of enzalutamide and its active metabolite N-desmethyl enzalutamide in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: 155-160
Program NHDR. NCI comorbidity index overview. 2020. https://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/comorbidity.html.
- Trial design and objectives for castration-resistant prostate cancer: updated recommendations from the prostate cancer Clinical Trials Working Group 3.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 1402-1418
- Design and analysis of randomized clinical trials requiring prolonged observation of each patient. II. Analysis and examples.Br J Cancer. 1977; 35: 1-39
- Time-to-event analysis of longitudinal follow-up of a survey: choice of the time-scale.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 72-80
- Restricted mean survival time: an alternative to the hazard ratio for the design and analysis of randomized trials with a time-to-event outcome.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013; 13: 152
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2020 (R version 3.6.3)
- On the choice of time scales in competing risks predictions.Biostatistics. 2017; 18: 15-31
- Antitumour activity of MDV3100 in castration-resistant prostate cancer: a phase 1-2 study.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1437-1446
- Consequences of an early PSA response to enzalutamide treatment for Japanese patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.Anticancer Res. 2016; 36: 6141-6149
- Factors predicting efficacy and adverse effects of enzalutamide in Japanese patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer: results of retrospective multi-institutional study.Int J Clin Oncol. 2016; 21: 1155-1161
- Initial dose reduction of enzalutamide does not decrease the incidence of adverse events in castration-resistant prostate cancer.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0258160
- Mutation HOXB13 c.853delT in Martinican prostate cancer patients.Prostate. 2020; 80: 463-470
- Enzalutamide in combination with abiraterone acetate in bone metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients.Eur Urol Oncol. 2020; 3: 119-127
- Abiraterone alone or in combination with enzalutamide in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer with rising prostate-specific antigen during enzalutamide treatment.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2639-2646
- Prospective international randomized phase II study of low-dose abiraterone with food versus standard dose abiraterone in castration-resistant prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1389-1395
- HLA class I and class II allele and haplotype diversity in martinicans.Tissue Antigens. 2001; 57: 200-207
- Drug-drug interaction potential in men treated with enzalutamide: mind the gap.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2018; 84: 122-129
- Deep and ongoing response of castrate-resistant prostate cancer on very low-dose enzalutamide in an elderly chemotherapy-naive patient: a case report.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2021; 88: 165-168
- Exposure-response assessment of enzalutamide and its major metabolites in a real-world cohort of patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.Pharmacotherapy. 2019; 39: 1137-1145