- •The association of D'Amico intermediate-risk and pathological grade group 1 was studied.
- •Among intermediate-risk prostate cancer patients, those with pathological grade group 1 have a good biochemical reccurence-free survival.
- •Downgrading from biopsy grade group ≥2 is rare; thus, radical treatment is recommended for patients with biopsy grade group ≥2.
- •It provides guidelines to identify patients eligible for active surveillance in D'Amico intermediate-risk group.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prediction of prognosis for prostatic adenocarcinoma by combined histological grading and clinical staging.J Urol. 1974; 111: 58-64https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-5347(17)59889-4
- The 2014 international society of urological pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma: definition of grading patterns and proposal for a new grading system.Am J Surg Pathol. 2016; 40: 244-252https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0000000000000530
- The new Epstein Gleason score classification significantly reduces upgrading in prostate cancer patients.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018; 44: 835-839https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2017.12.003
- Gleason grade grouping of prostate cancer is of prognostic value in Asian men.J Clin Pathol. 2017; 70: 745-753https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2016-204276
- Prognostic value of the new grade groups in prostate cancer: a multi-institutional European validation study.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2017; 20: 197-202https://doi.org/10.1038/pcan.2016.66
- Biochemical outcome after radical prostatectomy, external beam radiation therapy, or interstitial radiation therapy for clinically localized prostate cancer.JAMA. 1998; 280: 969-974https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.280.11.969
- Validation of a contemporary prostate cancer grading system using prostate cancer death as outcome.Br J Cancer. 2016; 114: 1078-1083https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2016.86
- Prostate cancer, version 2.2019, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019; 17 (version 2.2019): 479-505https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2019.0023
- Clinical role of pathological downgrading after radical prostatectomy in patients with biopsy confirmed Gleason score 3 + 4 prostate cancer.BJU Int. 2015; 115: 81-86https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.12769
- Upgrading and downgrading of prostate cancer from biopsy to radical prostatectomy: incidence and predictive factors using the modified Gleason grading system and factoring in tertiary grades.Eur Urol. 2012; 61: 1019-1024https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.01.050
- Factors associated with downgrading in patients with high grade prostate cancer.Urol Oncol. 2013; 31: 442-447https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2011.02.010
- The predictive factor for pathological downgrading after prostatectomy in patients with biopsy Gleason score 4+3 or 4+4 prostate cancer.Mol Clin Oncol. 2021; 14: 56https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2021.2218
- The impact of prostate cancer upgrading and upstaging on biochemical recurrence and cancer-specific survival.Medicina (Kaunas). 2020; 56https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina56020061
- The impact of downgrading from biopsy Gleason 7 to prostatectomy Gleason 6 on biochemical recurrence and prostate cancer specific mortality.J Urol. 2017; 197: 1060-1067https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.11.079
- Pathological upgrading in prostate cancer treated with surgery in the United Kingdom: trends and risk factors from the British association of urological surgeons radical prostatectomy registry.BMC Urol. 2019; 19: 94https://doi.org/10.1186/s12894-019-0526-9
- Upgrade in Gleason score between prostate biopsies and pathology following radical prostatectomy significantly impacts upon the risk of biochemical recurrence.BJU Int. 2011; 108: E202-E210https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10119.x
- Clinical significance and risk factors of international society of urological pathology (ISUP) grade upgrading in prostate cancer patients undergoing robot-assisted radical prostatectomy.BMC Cancer. 2021; 21: 501https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-021-08248-y
- The impact of pathologic upgrading of Gleason score 7 prostate cancer on the risk of the biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy.BioMed Res Int. 2018; (2018)4510149https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4510149
- Prostate cancer upgrading or downgrading of biopsy Gleason scores at radical prostatectomy: prediction of “regression to the mean” using routine clinical features with correlating biochemical relapse rates.Asian J Androl. 2019; 21: 598-604https://doi.org/10.4103/aja.aja_29_19
- Prostate cancer—major changes in the American joint committee on cancer eighth edition cancer staging manual.CA Cancer J Clin. 2017; 67: 245-253https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21391
- ISUP grading committee. The 2005 international society of urological pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma.Am J Surg Pathol. 2005; 29: 1228-1242https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pas.0000173646.99337.b1
- Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software “EZR” for medical statistics.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013; 48: 452-458https://doi.org/10.1038/bmt.2012.244
- Patterns of benign prostate hyperplasia based on magnetic resonance imaging are correlated with lower urinary tract symptoms and continence in men undergoing a robot-assisted radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer.Urology. 2017; 107: 196-201https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2017.05.047
- Five-year nationwide follow-up study of active surveillance for prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 233-238https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.06.010
- Long-term follow-up of a large active surveillance cohort of patients with prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 272-277https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2014.55.1192
- A new risk classification system for therapeutic decision making with intermediate-risk prostate cancer patients undergoing dose-escalated external-beam radiation therapy.Eur Urol. 2013; 64: 895-902https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.03.033
- Prediction of prostate cancer Gleason score upgrading from biopsy to radical prostatectomy using pre-biopsy multiparametric MRI PIRADS scoring system.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 7722https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-64693-y
- Prediction of pathologic upgrading in Gleason score 3+4 prostate cancer: who is a candidate for active surveillance?.Investig Clin Urol. 2020; 61: 405-410https://doi.org/10.4111/icu.2020.61.4.405
Submitted: Apr 20, 2022; Revised: May 30, 2022; Accepted: Jun 5, 2022