Clinical Practice Points
- •5-FU infusion has activity in far advanced prostate cancer.
- •5-FU at 200 mg/M2 per day by continuous infusion is well tolerated.
- •Options for advanced prostate cancer are limited.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer.in: Schwab M Encyclopedia of Cancer. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg2016: 1-4
- P53 overexpression predicts poor chemosensitivity to high-dose 5-fluorouracil plus leucovorin chemotherapy for stage IV colorectal cancers after palliative bowel resection.Int J cancer. 2002; 97: 451-457
- Characterising the castration-resistant prostate cancer population: a systematic review.Int J Clin Pract. 2011; 65: 1180-1192
- Imaging and treatment recommendations in patients with castrate-resistant prostate cancer.Rev Urol. 2017; 19: 200-202
- Evaluation of treatment patterns and costs in patients with prostate cancer and bone metastases.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2019; 25: S1-S11
- Challenges to improved therapeutics for metastatic castrate resistant prostate cancer: from recent successes and failures.J Hematol Oncol. 2012; 5: 35
- Management of biochemical recurrence after primary treatment of prostate cancer: a systematic review of the literature.Euro Urol. 2013; 64: 905-915
- A retrospective: on clinical studies with 5-Fluorouracil.Cancer Res. 2016; 76: 767-768
- Pharmaceutical research and development: what do we get for all that money?.Bmj. 2012; 345: e4348
- Locally advanced prostate cancer treated with concomitant radiation and 5-fluorouracil: Southwest oncology group study 9024.J urol. 2006; 176 (discussion 553): 548-553
- 5-fluorouracil: mechanisms of action and clinical strategies.Nat rev Cancer. 2003; 3: 330-338
- An alternative molecular mechanism of action of 5-fluorouracil, a potent anticancer drug.Biochem Pharmacol. 1997; 53: 1569-1575
- 5-Fluorouracil induces apoptosis in rat cardiocytes through intracellular oxidative stress.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 31: 60
- Toxicity of 5-fluorouracil.Oncology (Williston Park). 1999; 13: 33-34
- A phase II study of continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil in advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer. An Illinois Cancer Center Study.Cancer. 1993; 72: 1965-1968
- High-dose 24-hour infusion of 5-fluorouracil in metastatic prostate cancer. A phase II trial of the Piedmont Oncology Association.Am J Clin Oncol. 1991; 14: 526-529
- Phase II study of oral capecitabine in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Prostate cancer prostatic dis. 2005; 8: 364-368
- Capecitabine in hormone-resistant metastatic prostatic carcinoma - a phase II trial.Br J cancer. 2004; 90: 1312-1317
- Continuous systemic 5-fluorouracil infusion in refractory prostatic cancer.Urology. 1991; 37: 358-361
- Continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (5FU) as a novel treatment for heavily pretreated prostate cancer patients: an update.JClinl Oncol. 2019; 37 (-319): 319
- Extreme prostate-specific antigen response to infusional 5-Flourouracil in castrate-resistant prostate cancer.Oncologist. 2018; 23: 383-385
Published online: June 26, 2022
Accepted: June 14, 2022
Received in revised form: June 14, 2022
Received: May 20, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.