- •On posthoc analysis, intravesical chemotherapy (Gemcitabine) reduces the risk of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer recurrence in suspected low-grade, stage Ta or T1 bladder cancer.
- •We propose regression-tree analysis generated non-muscle invasive bladder cancer risk groups. This risk stratification shows distinct oncological outcomes with Gemcitabine.
- •Regression tree analysis suggests older patients (≥ 57 years) with a single tumor maximally benefit from immediate postresection instillation of intravesical chemotherapy (Gemcitabine).
Material and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bladder cancer incidence and mortality: a global overview and recent trends.Eur Urol. 2017; 71: 96-108
- Bladder cancer: epidemiology, staging and grading, and diagnosis.Urology. 2005; 66: 4-34
- Evaluation and follow-up strategies for superficial bladder cancer.Urol Clin North Am. 2003; 30: 765-776
- The burden of cystoscopic bladder cancer surveillance: anxiety, discomfort, and patient preferences for decision making.Urology. 2017; 108: 122-128
- The health economics of bladder cancer: a comprehensive review of the published literature.Pharmacoeconomics. 2003; 21: 1315-1330
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: AUA/SUO Guideline.J Urol. 2016; 196: 1021-1029
- Contemporary trends of systemic neoadjuvant and adjuvant intravesical chemotherapy in patients with upper tract urothelial carcinomas undergoing minimally invasive or open radical nephroureterectomy: analysis of US claims on perioperative outcomes and health care costs.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2022; 20: 198.e1-198.e9
- Can we improve nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer guideline adherence with smarter risk stratification?.J Urol. 2018; 200: 706-708
- Compliance with guidelines for patients with bladder cancer: variation in the delivery of care.Cancer. 2011; 117: 5392-5401
- Effect of Intravesical instillation of gemcitabine vs saline immediately following resection of suspected low-grade non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer on tumor recurrence: SWOG S0337 randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1880-1888
- Regression trees for censored data.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 35
- A novel tool to assess the risk of urinary incontinence after nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy.BJU Int. 2013; 111: 905-913
- Predicting recurrence and progression in individual patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer using EORTC risk tables: a combined analysis of 2596 patients from seven EORTC trials.Eur Urol. 2006; 49 (466-5; discussion 475)
- National practice patterns for immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer.J Urol. 2012; 187: 1571-1576
- Updates on the use of intravesical therapies for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: how, when and what.World J Urol. 2019; 37: 2017-2029
- Management, surveillance patterns, and costs associated with low-grade papillary stage Ta non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer among older adults, 2004-2013.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e223050
- Predicting Response to intravesical therapy in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer.Eur Urol Focus. 2018; 4: 494-502
- Accuracy of the EORTC risk tables and of the CUETO scoring model to predict outcomes in non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.Br J Cancer. 2013; 109: 1460-1466
- Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer risk stratification.Indian J Urol. 2015; 31: 289-296
- Predicting nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer recurrence and progression in a united states population.J Urol. 2017; 198: 824-831
- Comparison of gemcitabine and anthracycline antibiotics in prevention of superficial bladder cancer recurrence.BMC Urol. 2019; 19: 90
- Risk stratification tools and prognostic models in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a critical assessment from the European Association of Urology Non-muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer Guidelines Panel.Eur Urol Focus. 2020; 6: 479-489
- The evaluation of the risk factors for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) recurrence after transurethral resection (TURBt) in Chinese population.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0123617
- Improved detection of prostate cancer using classification and regression tree analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4322-4329