Key Take Home Message
- •This study explored real-world first-line treatment patterns and selection by medical oncology and urology providers in patients with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer using the prospective IQVIATM claims-based dataset.
- •Treatment intensification with novel hormonal therapy was prescribed 32% of the time by oncology providers but only 12% of the time by urology providers.
- •Both medical oncology and urology providers need to improve their treatment intensification efforts for men with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer to increase their patients' overall survival.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- ARCHES: a randomized, phase III study of androgen deprivation therapy with enzalutamide or placebo in men with metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 2974-2986https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.00799
- Apalutamide for metastatic, castration-sensitive prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 13-24https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1903307
- Abiraterone acetate plus prednisone in patients with newly diagnosed high-risk metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (LATITUDE): final overall survival analysis of a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 686-700https://doi.org/10.1016/s1470-2045(19)30082-8
- Enzalutamide with standard first-line therapy in metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 121-131https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1903835
- Abiraterone for prostate cancer not previously treated with hormone therapy.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 338-351https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1702900
- Chemohormonal therapy in metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer: long-term survival analysis of the randomized phase III E3805 CHAARTED trial.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1080-1087https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.3657
- Darolutamide and survival in metastatic, hormone-sensitive prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2119115
- Abiraterone plus prednisone added to androgen deprivation therapy and docetaxel in de novo metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (PEACE-1): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 study with a 2 × 2 factorial design.Lancet. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00367-1
- NCCN guidelines insights: prostate cancer, version 1.2021.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2021; 19: 134-143https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2021.0008
- Advanced prostate cancer: AUA/ASTRO/SUO guideline PART I.J Urol. 2021; 205: 14-21https://doi.org/10.1097/JU.0000000000001375
- Real-world utilization of advanced therapies and racial disparity among patients with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC): a Medicare database analysis [abstract 5073].J Clin Oncol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5073
- Real-world treatment patterns among patients diagnosed with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC) in community oncology settings [abstract 5074].J Clin Oncol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5074
- Real-world first-line (1L) treatment patterns in patients (pts) with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC) in a U.S. health insurance database [abstract 5072].J Clin Oncol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5072
- Treatment patterns and survival in metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer in the US Veterans Health Administration.Cancer Med. 2021; 10: 8570-8580https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.4372
- Management of patients with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer in the real-world setting in the United States.J Urol. 2021; 206: 1420-1429https://doi.org/10.1097/Ju.0000000000002121
- A phase III trial with a 2x2 factorial design in men with de novo metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer: Overall survival with abiraterone acetate plus prednisone in PEACE-1 [abstract LBA5_PR].Ann Oncol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2021.08.2099
- Systemic triple therapy in metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC): ready for prime time or still to be explored?.Cancers (Basel). 2021; : 14https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers14010008
- Underutilization of standard of care (SOC) treatment intensification in patients (pts) with metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC) by specialty [abstract 183].J Clin Oncol. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2022.40.6_suppl.183