- •The GETUG-AFU 26 NIVOREN trial enrolled 729 mRCC patients of whom 27.7% were PPI users.
- •PPI use did not correlate with PFS or OS (HR = 0.89, 95% CI 0.74-1.08 and HR = 1.24; 95% CI, 0.98-1.58, respectively).
- •Nivolumab-related adverse events of any grade occurred similarly among PPI users and non-users (61.2% vs. 62%).
- •Grade 3-5 nivolumab-related adverse events were more common among PPI users (25.5% vs. 15.3%).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Cancer today [Internet]. [cited 2021 Jan 23]. Available at: http://gco.iarc.fr/today/home.
Kidney and Renal Pelvis Cancer — Cancer Stat Facts [Internet]. [cited 2021 Jan 23]. Available at: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/kidrp.html.
- Systemic therapy for metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 354-366https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1601333
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitors and immunotherapy combinations in renal cell carcinoma.Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2020; 121758835920907504https://doi.org/10.1177/1758835920907504
- Sequencing and combination of systemic therapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Eur Urol Oncol. 2019; 2: 505-514https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euo.2019.06.022
- CheckMate 025 randomized phase 3 study: outcomes by key baseline factors and prior therapy for nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2017; 72: 962-971https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2017.02.010
- Pembrolizumab plus Axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1116-1127https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1816714
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib in first-line treatment for advanced renal cell carcinoma: extended follow-up of efficacy and safety results from a randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 1370-1385https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30413-9
- Avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1103-1115https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1816047
- FDA approval summary: nivolumab in advanced renal cell carcinoma after anti-angiogenic therapy and exploratory predictive biomarker analysis.Oncologist. 2017; 22: 311-317https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2016-0476
- Nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1803-1813https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1510665
- Gut microbiome influences efficacy of PD-1-based immunotherapy against epithelial tumors.Science. 2018; 359: 91-97https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan3706
- Gut microbiome modulates response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in melanoma patients.Science. 2018; 359: 97-103https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan4236
- The intimate relationship between gut microbiota and cancer immunotherapy.Gut Microbes. 2019; 10: 424-428https://doi.org/10.1080/19490976.2018.1527167
- Gut bacteria composition drives primary resistance to cancer immunotherapy in renal cell carcinoma patients.Eur Urol. 2020; 78: 195-206https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.04.044
- Negative association of antibiotics on clinical activity of immune checkpoint inhibitors in patients with advanced renal cell and non-small-cell lung cancer.Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2018; 29: 1437-1444https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy103
- Proton pump inhibitors affect the gut microbiome.Gut. 2016; 65: 740-748https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2015-310376
- Cancer acidity: an ultimate frontier of tumor immune escape and a novel target of immunomodulation.Semin Cancer Biol. 2017; 43: 74-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2017.03.001
- Medication use and kidney cancer risk: a population-based study.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl 1990. 2017; 83: 203-210https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2017.07.001
- Proton pump inhibitors and survival outcomes in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017; 15: 724-732https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2017.05.019
- Concomitant proton pump inhibitors and outcome of patients treated with nivolumab alone or plus ipilimumab for advanced renal cell carcinoma.Target Oncol. 2021; 11https://doi.org/10.1007/s11523-021-00861-y
- Safety and efficacy of nivolumab in brain metastases from renal cell carcinoma: results of the GETUG-AFU 26 NIVOREN multicenter phase ii study.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 2008-2016https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.18.02218
- Gut microbiota associations with common diseases and prescription medications in a population-based cohort.Nat Commun. 2018; 9: 2655https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-05184-7
- Extensive impact of non-antibiotic drugs on human gut bacteria.Nature. 2018; 555: 623-628https://doi.org/10.1038/nature25979
- Systematic review: human gut dysbiosis induced by non-antibiotic prescription medications.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2018; 47: 332-345https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.14451
- Mechanisms of monoclonal antibody-drug interactions.Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2011; 51: 359-372https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-pharmtox-010510-100510
- Translational pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of monoclonal antibodies.Drug Discov Today Technol. 2016; 21-22: 75-83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ddtec.2016.09.004
- The association between proton pump inhibitors use and clinical outcome of patients receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors therapy.Int Immunopharmacol. 2020; 88106972https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2020.106972
- MO3-10-1 - The effect of proton pump inhibitors on the efficacy of nivolumab monotherapy in different types of cancer.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: vi115https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdz338.107
- Proton pump inhibitors and response to immune check-point inhibitors: single center study.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: e14092https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.e14092
- Impact of antibiotic use and other concomitant medications on the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors in patients with advanced cancer.Clin Transl Oncol. 2020; 22: 1481-1490https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-019-02282-w
- Integrated analysis of concomitant medications and oncological outcomes from PD-1/PD-L1 checkpoint inhibitors in clinical practice.J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8e001361https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2020-001361
- Effects of commonly used chronic medications on the outcomes of ipilimumab therapy in patients with metastatic melanoma.Melanoma Res. 2016; 26: 609-615https://doi.org/10.1097/CMR.0000000000000299
- Do proton pump inhibitors modulate the efficacy of anti-PD-1/PD-L1 therapy? A retrospective study.J Oncol. 2019; 25: 762-764https://doi.org/10.1177/1078155218771152
- Acute kidney injury in patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitors.J Immunother Cancer. 2021; 9e003467https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2021-003467
- Impact of concomitant medication administered at the time of initiation of nivolumab therapy on outcome in non-small cell lung cancer.Anticancer Res. 2020; 40: 2209-2217https://doi.org/10.21873/anticanres.14182
- What impact do the proton pump inhibitors have on the efficacy of immune check point inhibitors in metastatic malignant melanoma?.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: e21040https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.e21040
- Concomitant proton pump inhibitor use and survival in urothelial carcinoma treated with atezolizumab.Clin Cancer. 2020; 26: 5487-5493https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-20-1876
- Efficacy of chemotherapy and atezolizumab in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer receiving antibiotics and proton pump inhibitors: pooled post hoc analyses of the OAK and POPLAR trials.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 525-531https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2020.01.006
- Proton pump inhibitors negatively impact survival of PD-1 inhibitor based therapies in metastatic melanoma patients.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: x40https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy511.001