- •Intense neoadjuvant therapy doesn't increase the morbidity of radical prostatectomy.
- •Neoadjuvant therapy reduced the rate of positive surgical margins.
- •Neoadjuvant therapy may increase the risk of perioperative thromboembolic events.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
- Cancer statistics, 2020.CA Cancer J Clin. 2020; 70: 7-30
- Time trends and local variation in primary treatment of localized prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1117-1123
- Radical prostatectomy for clinically localized, high risk prostate cancer: critical analysis of risk assessment methods.J Urol. 2007; 178: 493-499
- EAU-EANM-ESTRO-ESUR-SIOG Guidelines on Prostate Cancer-2020 Update. Part 1: screening, diagnosis, and local treatment with curative intent.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 243-262
- Prostate cancer-specific mortality after radical prostatectomy for patients treated in the prostate-specific antigen era.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4300-4305
- The role of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection in the management of high-risk prostate cancer: a systematic review.Eur Urol. 2014; 65: 918-927
- Rationale for and review of neoadjuvant therapy prior to radical prostatectomy for patients with high-risk prostate cancer.Drugs. 2013; 73: 1417-1430
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials of neo-adjuvant hormone therapy for localised and locally advanced prostate carcinoma.Cancer Treat Rev. 2009; 35: 9-17
- Enzalutamide in metastatic prostate cancer before chemotherapy.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 424-433
- Abiraterone and increased survival in metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1995-2005
- Neoadjuvant approaches prior to radical prostatectomy.Cancer J. 2020; 26: 2-12
- Neoadjuvant systemic therapy before radical prostatectomy in high-risk prostate cancer does not increase surgical morbidity: contemporary results using the clavien system.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016; 14: 130-138
- Prostate cancer, version 2.2014.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014; 12: 686-718
- Anatomic radical prostatectomy: evolution of the surgical technique.J Urol. 1998; 160: 2418-2424
- Overcoming the learning curve for robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy.Urol Clin North Am. 2010; 37: 37-47
- Technique for laparoscopic running urethrovesical anastomosis: the single knot method.Urology. 2003; 61: 699-702
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- Independent Validation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th Edition Prostate Cancer Staging Classification.J Urol. 2017; 198: 1286-1294
- Intense androgen-deprivation therapy with abiraterone acetate plus leuprolide acetate in patients with localized high-risk prostate cancer: results of a randomized phase II neoadjuvant study.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3705-3715
- Neoadjuvant enzalutamide prior to prostatectomy.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 2169-2176
- Evaluation of intense androgen deprivation before prostatectomy: a randomized phase II trial of enzalutamide and leuprolide with or without abiraterone.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 923-931
- Clinical and biological characterisation of localised high-risk prostate cancer: results of a randomised preoperative study of a luteinising hormone-releasing hormone agonist with or without abiraterone acetate plus prednisone.Eur Urol. 2019; 76: 418-424
- Results of a randomized phase ii trial of intense androgen deprivation therapy prior to radical prostatectomy in men with high-risk localized prostate cancer.J Urol. 2021; 206: 80-87
- Quality of complication reporting in the surgical literature.Ann Surg. 2002; 235: 803-813
- Ten-year follow-up of neoadjuvant therapy with goserelin acetate and flutamide before radical prostatectomy for clinical T3 and T4 prostate cancer: update on Southwest Oncology Group Study 9109.Urology. 2012; 79: 633-637
- Pathologic effects of neoadjuvant cyproterone acetate on non-neoplastic prostate, prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia, and adenocarcinoma: a detailed analysis of radical prostatectomy specimens from a randomized trial.Am J Surg Pathol. 2002; 26: 1400-1413
- Is the post-radical prostatectomy gleason score a valid predictor of mortality after neoadjuvant hormonal treatment?.Urol Int. 2016; 96: 302-308
- Randomized, prospective, controlled study comparing radical prostatectomy alone and neoadjuvant androgen withdrawal in the treatment of localized prostate cancer.Can Urol Oncol Group J Urol. 1996; 156: 873-877
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of studies reporting oncologic outcome after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy.Eur Urol. 2012; 62: 382-404
- Variation in positive surgical margin status after radical prostatectomy for pT2 prostate cancer.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019; 17: e1060-e1068
- Updated nomogram predicting lymph node invasion in patients with prostate cancer undergoing extended pelvic lymph node dissection: the essential importance of percentage of positive cores.Eur Urol. 2012; 61: 480-487
- Extended versus limited pelvic lymph node dissection during radical prostatectomy for intermediate- and high-risk prostate cancer: early oncological outcomes from a randomized phase 3 trial.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 595-604
- Percentage of positive biopsy cores can improve the ability to predict lymph node invasion in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy and extended pelvic lymph node dissection.Eur Urol. 2007; 51: 1573-1581
- Impact of pelvic lymph node dissection and its extent on perioperative morbidity in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: a comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Urol Oncol. 2021; 4: 134-149
- Utility of the surgical apgar score: validation in 4119 patients.Arch Surg. 2009; 144: 30-37
- Postoperative complications of contemporary open and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy using standardised reporting systems.BJU Int. 2018; 122: 801-807
- Impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes at robotic-assisted and open radical prostatectomy: results from the National Inpatient Sample.Urology. 2019; 133: 135-144
- Perioperative and postoperative complications from bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and radical retropubic prostatectomy.J Urol. 1987; 137: 1189-1191https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-5347(17)44445-4
- Effect of pharmacologic prophylaxis on venous thromboembolism after radical prostatectomy: the PREVENTER randomized clinical trial.Eur Urol. 2020; 78: 360-368
Tikkinen KAO, Cartwright R, Gould MK, et al. EAU guidelines on thromboprophylaxis in urological surgery. Presented at the EAU Annual Congress Barcelona; Arnhem, The Netherlands: EAU Guidelines Office; 2019 ISBN 978-94-92671-04-2 http://uroweb.org/guidelines/compilations-of-all-guidelines/ (accessed in January 10, 2022).