- •Androgen signaling pathway has been proposed to promote bladder tumorigenesis.
- •Men with bladder cancer, who were prescribed finasteride, were more likely to be older, diabetic, obese, and taking an alpha-blocker.
- •Use of finasteride after the diagnosis of bladder cancer is associated with superior overall survival in bladder cancer cohort as well as in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
- •Finasteride use appeared as an independent predictor for overall survival in bladder cancer as well as in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
Androgen suppression therapy has been associated with a lower incidence of bladder cancer (BCa) or improved overall/cancer-specific survival. Results are ofent conflicting; therefore, we aim to assess the impact of use of finasteride on overall survival (OS) for BCa using multi-institutional database.
The South Texas Veterans Healthcare System from 5 medical centers was queried for patients with BCa with or without use of finasteride after diagnosis of BCa. The primary outcome was the impact of finasteride use after diagnosis on the OS in BCa and in the high-risk Non-muscle invasive BCa (NMIBC) cohort.
A total of 1890 patients were included, amongst which 619 (32.8%) men were classified as finasteride users and 1271 (67.2%) men as controls. At a median (IQR) follow up of 53.8 (27.4, 90.9) months, death due to any cause was noted in 272 (43.9%) finasteride-treated, and 672 (49.3%) control groups (P = .028). The patients in the finasteride group had significantly better OS in overall cohort (112.1 months vs. 84.8 months, P < .001) as well as in the NMIBC cohort (129.3months vs. 103.2 months, P = .0046). The use of finasteride was independently associated with improved OS in both, overall cohort (HR 0.74, 95% CI 0.63-0.86; P < .001) and in the NMIBC cohort (HR = 0.71, 95% CI 0.55-0.93; P = .011).
Finasteride use is associated with the improved overall survival in patients with BCa, specifically in patients with NMIBC. We, further, propose a randomized clinical trial to investigate the use of finasteride in BCa patients.
Abbreviations:BCa (Bladder Cancer), NMIBC (Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer), AR (Androgen Recepter), 5-ARI (5-apha reductase inhibitor), DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), BCG (Bacillus Calmette Guerin), TURBT (Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumor), OS (Overall Survival), AST (Androgen Suppression Therapy)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- Bacillus calmette-guerin versus chemotherapy for the intravesical treatment of patients with carcinoma in situ of the bladder: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials.J Urol. 2005; 174 (discussion -2): 86-91
- Distribution of androgen receptor expression in the urinary bladder.Int J Urol. 2019; 26: 305-306
- Androgen receptor inducing bladder cancer progression by promoting an epithelial-mesenchymal transition.Andrologia. 2014; 46: 1128-1133
- Implication of androgen receptor in urinary bladder cancer: a critical mini review.Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2013; 4: 150-155
- Androgen receptor is a potential therapeutic target for bladder cancer.Urology. 2010; 75: 820-827
- Dihydrotestosterone upregulates the expression of epidermal growth factor receptor and ERBB2 in androgen receptor-positive bladder cancer cells.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011; 18: 451-464
- Epidermal growth factor enhances androgen receptor‑mediated bladder cancer progression and invasion via potentiation of AR transactivation.Oncol Rep. 2013; 30: 2917-2922
- Finasteride reduces risk of bladder cancer in a large prospective screening study.Eur Urol. 2016; 69: 407-410
- Bladder cancer survival of men receiving 5α-reductase inhibitors.J Urol. 2018; 200: 743-748
- Impact of Androgen Suppression Therapy on the risk and prognosis of bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Oncol. 2021; 11784627
- Does 5-alpha reductase inhibitor use improve the efficacy of intravesical bacille calmette-guérin (BCG) for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer?.Bladder Cancer. 2020; 6: 63-69
- Epidermal growth factor induces bladder cancer cell proliferation through activation of the androgen receptor.Int J Oncol. 2012; 41: 1587-1592
- Receipt of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors before radical cystectomy: do they render high-grade bladder tumors less aggressive?.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019; 17: e1122-e11e8
- Possible role of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors in non-invasive bladder urothelial neoplasm: multicenter study.Minerva Urol Nephrol. 2022; 74: 337-343
- Suppressed recurrent bladder cancer after androgen suppression with androgen deprivation therapy or 5α-reductase inhibitor.J Urol. 2017; 197: 308-313
- 5α-reductase inhibitors impact prognosis of urothelial carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 872
- The use of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and alpha-1 blockers does not improve clinical outcome in male patients undergoing radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in Quebec, Canada.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2021; 19 (371-.e9)
- Androgen deprivation therapy prevents bladder cancer recurrence.Oncotarget. 2014; 5
- The effect of androgen deprivation treatment on subsequent risk of bladder cancer diagnosis in male patients treated for prostate cancer.World J Urol. 2019; 37: 1127-1135
- The genomic alterations of 5α-reductases and their inhibitor finasteride's effect in bladder cancer.Anticancer Res. 2017; 37: 6893-6898
- ASC-J9® increases the bladder cancer chemotherapy efficacy via altering the androgen receptor (AR) and NF-κB survival signals.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 38: 275
- Androgen receptor mRNA expression in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective analysis of two independent cohorts.Transl Oncol. 2019; 12: 661-668
- Combination of androgen receptor inhibitor and cisplatin, an effective treatment strategy for urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.Urol Oncol: Seminars and Original Investigations. 2019; 37: 492-502
- Dihydrotestosterone increases the risk of bladder cancer in men.Human Cell. 2019; 32: 379-389
- Inhibition of Androgen signalling improves the outcomes of therapies for bladder cancer: results from a systematic review of preclinical and clinical evidence and meta-analysis of clinical studies.Diagnostics (Basel). 2021; 11
- Association between bladder outlet obstruction and bladder cancer in patients with aging male.J Clin Med. 2019; 8: 1550
Published online: October 28, 2022
Accepted: October 24, 2022
Received in revised form: October 16, 2022
Received: June 30, 2022
Published by Elsevier Inc.