- •Androgen signaling pathway has been proposed to promote bladder tumorigenesis.
- •Men with bladder cancer, who were prescribed finasteride, were more likely to be older, diabetic, obese, and taking an alpha-blocker.
- •Use of finasteride after the diagnosis of bladder cancer is associated with superior overall survival in bladder cancer cohort as well as in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
- •Finasteride use appeared as an independent predictor for overall survival in bladder cancer as well as in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
Abbreviations:BCa (Bladder Cancer), NMIBC (Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer), AR (Androgen Recepter), 5-ARI (5-apha reductase inhibitor), DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), BCG (Bacillus Calmette Guerin), TURBT (Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumor), OS (Overall Survival), AST (Androgen Suppression Therapy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- Bacillus calmette-guerin versus chemotherapy for the intravesical treatment of patients with carcinoma in situ of the bladder: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials.J Urol. 2005; 174 (discussion -2): 86-91
- Distribution of androgen receptor expression in the urinary bladder.Int J Urol. 2019; 26: 305-306
- Androgen receptor inducing bladder cancer progression by promoting an epithelial-mesenchymal transition.Andrologia. 2014; 46: 1128-1133
- Implication of androgen receptor in urinary bladder cancer: a critical mini review.Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2013; 4: 150-155
- Androgen receptor is a potential therapeutic target for bladder cancer.Urology. 2010; 75: 820-827
- Dihydrotestosterone upregulates the expression of epidermal growth factor receptor and ERBB2 in androgen receptor-positive bladder cancer cells.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011; 18: 451-464
- Epidermal growth factor enhances androgen receptor‑mediated bladder cancer progression and invasion via potentiation of AR transactivation.Oncol Rep. 2013; 30: 2917-2922
- Finasteride reduces risk of bladder cancer in a large prospective screening study.Eur Urol. 2016; 69: 407-410
- Bladder cancer survival of men receiving 5α-reductase inhibitors.J Urol. 2018; 200: 743-748
- Impact of Androgen Suppression Therapy on the risk and prognosis of bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Oncol. 2021; 11784627
- Does 5-alpha reductase inhibitor use improve the efficacy of intravesical bacille calmette-guérin (BCG) for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer?.Bladder Cancer. 2020; 6: 63-69
- Epidermal growth factor induces bladder cancer cell proliferation through activation of the androgen receptor.Int J Oncol. 2012; 41: 1587-1592
- Receipt of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors before radical cystectomy: do they render high-grade bladder tumors less aggressive?.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019; 17: e1122-e11e8
- Possible role of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors in non-invasive bladder urothelial neoplasm: multicenter study.Minerva Urol Nephrol. 2022; 74: 337-343
- Suppressed recurrent bladder cancer after androgen suppression with androgen deprivation therapy or 5α-reductase inhibitor.J Urol. 2017; 197: 308-313
- 5α-reductase inhibitors impact prognosis of urothelial carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 872
- The use of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and alpha-1 blockers does not improve clinical outcome in male patients undergoing radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in Quebec, Canada.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2021; 19 (371-.e9)
- Androgen deprivation therapy prevents bladder cancer recurrence.Oncotarget. 2014; 5
- The effect of androgen deprivation treatment on subsequent risk of bladder cancer diagnosis in male patients treated for prostate cancer.World J Urol. 2019; 37: 1127-1135
- The genomic alterations of 5α-reductases and their inhibitor finasteride's effect in bladder cancer.Anticancer Res. 2017; 37: 6893-6898
- ASC-J9® increases the bladder cancer chemotherapy efficacy via altering the androgen receptor (AR) and NF-κB survival signals.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 38: 275
- Androgen receptor mRNA expression in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective analysis of two independent cohorts.Transl Oncol. 2019; 12: 661-668
- Combination of androgen receptor inhibitor and cisplatin, an effective treatment strategy for urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.Urol Oncol: Seminars and Original Investigations. 2019; 37: 492-502
- Dihydrotestosterone increases the risk of bladder cancer in men.Human Cell. 2019; 32: 379-389
- Inhibition of Androgen signalling improves the outcomes of therapies for bladder cancer: results from a systematic review of preclinical and clinical evidence and meta-analysis of clinical studies.Diagnostics (Basel). 2021; 11
- Association between bladder outlet obstruction and bladder cancer in patients with aging male.J Clin Med. 2019; 8: 1550