- •Despite the rising use of renal mass biopsy, the incidence of benign renal masses resected for oncologic indications has remained stable.
- •Oncocytoma poses the most significant diagnostic challenge in attempting to differentiate RCC from benign masses.
- •Smaller tumor size is predictive of finding benign pathology after extirpative surgery.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rising incidence of small renal masses: a need to reassess treatment effect.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2006; 98: 1331-1334
- Increased incidence of serendipitously discovered renal cell carcinoma.Urology. 1998; 51: 203-205
- Partial nephrectomy versus radical nephrectomy in patients with small renal tumors—is there a difference in mortality and cardiovascular outcomes?.J Urol. 2009; 181: 55-62
- International variations and trends in renal cell carcinoma incidence and mortality.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 519-530
- Growth kinetics of renal masses: analysis of a prospective cohort of patients undergoing active surveillance.Eur Urol. 2011; 59: 863-867
- Active surveillance for small renal masses: when less is more.Eur Urol Focus. 2016; 2: 660-668
- Active surveillance of small renal masses offers short-term oncological efficacy equivalent to radical and partial nephrectomy.BJU Int. 2012; 110: 1270-1275
- Active surveillance is superior to radical nephrectomy and equivalent to partial nephrectomy for preserving renal function in patients with small renal masses: results from the DISSRM registry.J Urol. 2015; 194: 903-909
- Incidence of benign pathologic findings at partial nephrectomy for solitary renal mass presumed to be renal cell carcinoma on preoperative imaging.Urology. 2006; 68: 737-740
- Association of prevalence of benign pathologic findings after partial nephrectomy with preoperative imaging patterns in the United States from 2007 to 2014.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 225-231
- Diagnostic Performance of MRI in the Detection of Renal Lipid-Poor Angiomyolipomas: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Radiology. 2020; 296: 511-520
- Renal oncocytoma: CT features cannot reliably distinguish oncocytoma from other renal neoplasms.Clin Radiol. 2009; 64: 517-522
- MRI features of renal oncocytoma and chromophobe renal cell carcinoma.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: W421-W427
- Incidence of benign pathologic lesions at partial nephrectomy for presumed RCC renal masses: Japanese dual-center experience with 176 consecutive patients.Urology. 2008; 72: 598-602
- Partial nephrectomy for presumed renal-cell carcinoma: incidence, predictors, and perioperative outcomes of benign lesions.J Endourol. 2017; 31: 412-417
- Benign lesions after partial nephrectomy for presumed renal cell carcinoma in masses 4 cm or less: prevalence and predictors in Korean patients.Urology. 2010; 76: 574-579
- Effects of excess weight on cancer incidences depending on cancer sites and histologic findings among men: Korea National Health Insurance Corporation Study.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4742-4754
- Increasing detection rate of benign renal tumors: evaluation of factors predicting for benign tumor histologic features during past two decades.Urology. 2009; 73: 1293-1297
- Incidence of benign lesions for clinically localized renal masses smaller than 7 cm in radiological diameter: influence of sex.J Urol. 2006; 176: 2391-2396
- Renal angiomyolipoma without visible fat: Can we make the diagnosis using CT and MRI?.Eur Radiol. 2018; 28: 542-553
- Are there useful CT features to differentiate renal cell carcinoma from lipid-poor renal angiomyolipoma?.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013; 201: 1017-1028
- Imaging characteristics of minimal fat renal angiomyolipoma with histologic correlations.Urology. 2005; 66: 1155-1159
- Angiomyolipoma of the kidney: report of 27 cases and review of the literature.J Urol. 1969; 102: 396-401
- Are small renal tumors harmless? Analysis of histopathological features according to tumors 4 cm or less in diameter.J Urol. 2006; 176: 896-899
- Second prize: frequency of benign renal cortical tumors and histologic subtypes based on size in a contemporary series: what to tell our patients.J Endourol. 2007; 21: 819-823
- Use of electron microscopy in core biopsy diagnosis of oncocytic renal tumors.Ultrastruct Pathol. 2010; l34: 189-194
- Subcellar distribution and analysis of technetium-99m0MIBI in isolated perfused rat hearts.J Nuc Med. 1992; 33: 1516-1522
- Diagnostic accuracy of 99mTc-sestamibi SPECT/CT for detecting renal oncocytomas and other benign renal lesions: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Abdom Radiol. 2020; 45: 2532-2541
- Diagnostic accuracy of segmental enhancement inversion for the diagnosis of renal oncocytoma using biphasic computed tomography (CT) and multiphase contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 2787-2794