- •Genomic sequencing has gained a foothold in routine clinical care for mUC and may provide prognostic or predictive value with ICI therapy.
- •TERT promoter mutations are amongst the most commonly detected mutations in mUC and have been associated with ICI response in a prior study.
- •ATM mutations in particular are associated with poor outcomes in mUC, however there is data to suggest that DNA damage repair mutations may portend better responses with ICI.
- •Our study found no significant difference in outcomes with TERT mutations, while ATM mutations were significantly associated with poorer outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pembrolizumab as Second-Line Therapy for Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1613683
- Nivolumab in metastatic urothelial carcinoma after platinum therapy (CheckMate 275): a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 312-322https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30065-7
- Avelumab Maintenance Therapy for Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1218-1230https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2002788
- New 6-factor prognostic model for patients (pts) with advanced urothelial carcinoma (UC) receiving post-platinum atezolizumab.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36 (413-413)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2018.36.6_suppl.413
- A model combining clinical and genomic factors to predict response to PD-1/PD-L1 blockade in advanced urothelial carcinoma.Br J Cancer. 2020; 122: 555-563https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-019-0686-0
- Efficacy of Pembrolizumab in Patients With Noncolorectal High Microsatellite Instability/Mismatch Repair–Deficient Cancer: Results From the Phase II KEYNOTE-158 Study.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.02105
- Avelumab maintenance in advanced urothelial carcinoma: biomarker analysis of the phase 3 JAVELIN Bladder 100 trial.Nat Med. 2021; 27: 2200-2211https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-021-01579-0
- Erdafitinib in Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 338-348https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1817323
- A randomized, double blind, biomarker selected, phase II clinical trial of maintenance PARP inhibition following chemotherapy for metastatic urothelial carcinoma (mUC): Final analysis of the ATLANTIS rucaparib arm.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40 (436-436)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2022.40.6_suppl.436
- BAYOU: A phase II, randomized, multicenter, double-blind, study of durvalumab (D) in combination with olaparib (O) for the first-line treatment of platinum-ineligible patients with unresectable, stage IV urothelial carcinoma (UC).J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40 (437-437)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2022.40.6_suppl.437
- Randomized phase II study of niraparib plus best supportive care (BSC) versus BSC alone as maintenance treatment in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma (UC) whose disease did not progress after first-line platinum-based chemotherapy (PBCT): The Meet-URO12 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40 (442-442)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2022.40.6_suppl.442
- TERT promoter mutations and other prognostic factors in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma treated with an immune checkpoint inhibitor.J Immunother Cancer. 2021; 9e002127https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2020-002127
- Correlates of clinical benefit from immunotherapy and targeted therapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: comprehensive genomic and transcriptomic analysis.J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8e000953https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2020-000953
- Molecular analysis of urothelial cancer cell lines for modeling tumor biology and drug response.Oncogene. 2017; 36: 35-46https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2016.172
- Comprehensive molecular characterization of urothelial bladder carcinoma.Nature. 2014; 507: 315-322https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12965
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: Revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 228-247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- A New Prognostic Model in Patients with Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma Treated with First-line Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors.Eur Urol Oncol. 2021; 4: 464-472https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euo.2020.12.006
- The effect of age and gender on bladder cancer: a critical review of the literature.BJU Int. 2010; 105: 300-308https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.09076.x
- Gender and Bladder Cancer: A Collaborative Review of Etiology, Biology, and Outcomes.Eur Urol. 2016; 69: 300-310https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2015.08.037
- Should Upper-tract Urothelial Carcinoma and Bladder Carcinoma Be Treated the Same or Different?.Eur Urol Oncol. 2021; 4: 180-181https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euo.2021.01.009
- Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and lactate dehydrogenase as biomarkers for urothelial cancer treated with immunotherapy.Clin Transl Oncol Off Publ Fed Span Oncol Soc Natl Cancer Inst Mex. 2020; 22: 2130-2135https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-020-02337-3
- RB1 and TP53 co-mutations correlate strongly with genomic biomarkers of response to immunity checkpoint inhibitors in urothelial bladder cancer.BMC Cancer. 2021; 21: 432https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-021-08078-y
- Relationship of smoking status to genomic profile, chemotherapy response and clinical outcome in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 52442-52449https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.9449
- PARP Inhibitors and Prostate Cancer: To Infinity and Beyond BRCA.The Oncologist. 2021; 26: e115-e129https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2020-0697
- Adjuvant Olaparib for Patients with BRCA1 - or BRCA2 -Mutated Breast Cancer.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 2394-2405https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2105215
- Survival with Olaparib in Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2345-2357https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2022485
- DNA Damage Response and Repair Gene Alterations Are Associated with Improved Survival in Patients with Platinum-Treated Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 3610-3618https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-16-2520
- Alterations in DNA Damage Response and Repair Genes as Potential Marker of Clinical Benefit From PD-1/PD-L1 Blockade in Advanced Urothelial Cancers.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1685-1694https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.7740
- ATM/RB1 mutations predict shorter overall survival in urothelial cancer.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 16891-16898https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.24738
- TERT—Regulation and Roles in Cancer Formation.Front Immunol. 2020; 11589929https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.589929
- Telomeres, lifestyle, cancer, and aging.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2011; 14: 28-34https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e32834121b1
- Molecular identification of telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) promotor mutations in primary and recurrent tumors of invasive and noninvasive urothelial bladder cancer.Urol Oncol. 2020; 38 (77.e17-77.e25)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2019.08.007
- A California Cancer Registry Analysis of Urothelial and Non-urothelial Bladder Cancer Subtypes: Epidemiology, Treatment, and Survival.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020; 18: e330-e336https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2020.01.002
- Prognostic significance of non-urothelial carcinoma of bladder: analysis of nationwide hospital-based cancer registry data in Japan.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2020; 50: 1068-1075https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyaa072