CLINICAL PRACTICE POINTS
- •Variable like extranodal extension, number, and laterality of inguinal nodes involved are known predictors of pelvic lymph node metastasis in penile squamous cell carcinoma
- •These predictors, however, are largely established on data from the western world with a relatively lower incidence of penile cancer
- •On the other hand number of the positive inguinal nodes appear to be the most important predictor in our setup.
- •A higher threshold of metastatic inguinal lymph nodes for addressing pelvic lymph node dissection can be further investigated, particularly in a high disease burden setup.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Iliac nodal metastases from carcinoma of the penis treated surgically.BJU Int. 2000; 86: 690-693
- Prognostic factors in node-positive carcinoma of the penis.J Surg Oncol. 2006; 93: 133-138
- Correlation between the extent of nodal involvement and survival following groin dissection for carcinoma of the penis.Br J Urol. 1993; 72: 817-819
- Pelvic lymph node dissection for penile carcinoma: extent of inguinal lymph node involvement as an indicator for pelvic lymph node involvement and survival.J Urol. 2007; 177: 947-952
- Establishing criteria for bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection in the management of penile cancer: Lessons learned from an international multicenter collaboration.J Urol. 2015; 194: 696-701
- Extent of pelvic lymph node dissection in penile cancer may impact survival.World J Urol. 2016; 34: 353-359
- The relationship between characteristics of inguinal lymph nodes and pelvic lymph node involvement in penile squamous cell carcinoma: A single institution experience.J Urol. 2014; 191: 977-982
Flaig T, Spiess PE, Abern A, Agarwal N, Bangs R, Boorjian SA. Penile cancer, version 2.2022, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Available at:https://www.nccn.org/login?ReturnURL=https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/penile.pdf. Accessed January 8, 2022.
Hakenberg OW, Compérat EM, Minhas S, Necchi A, Protzel C, Watkin N. EAU guidelines on penile cancer. Available at: https://uroweb.org/guideline/penile-cancer/. Accessed January 8, 2022.
- Complications of inguinal and pelvic lymphadenectomy for squamous cell carcinoma of the penis: A contemporary series.J Urol. 2004; 172: 494-497
- Pelvic lymph node dissection in penile cancer with inguinal lymph node extranodal extension: A multicenter experience.Front Surg. 2021; 8644273
- The risk factors for the presence of pelvic lymph node metastasis in penile squamous cell carcinoma patients with inguinal lymph node dissection.World J Urol. 2013; 31: 1519-1524
- Predicting pelvic lymph node metastases in penile cancer patients: a comparison of computed tomography, Cloquet's node, and disease burden of inguinal lymph nodes.Onkologie. 2008; 31: 37-41
- Identification of high risk pathological node positive penile carcinoma: Value of preoperative computerized tomography imaging.J Urol. 2011; 185: 881-887
- Histopathological risk scoring system as a tool for predicting lymph nodal metastasis in penile squamous cell carcinoma.Pathology. 2019; 51: 696-704
- The total number of retroperitoneal lymph nodes resected impacts clinical outcome after chemotherapy for metastatic testicular cancer.Urology. 2010; 75: 1431-1435
- Transformation of the independent variables.Technometrics. 1962; 4: 531-550
- Estimation of the Youden Index and its associated cutoff point.Biom J. 2005; 47: 458-472
- A clinical nomogram for predicting lymph node metastasis in penile cancer: A SEER-based study.Front Oncol. 2021; 11640036
- The prognostic significance of primary tumor size in squamous cell carcinoma of the penis.Discov Oncol. 2021; 12: 22
- Predictors of inguinal lymph node metastasis in penile cancer patients: A meta-analysis of retrospective studies.Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11: 6425-6441
- Prognostic predictors of lymph node metastasis in penile cancer: A systematic review.Int Braz J Urol. 2021; 47: 943-956
- Penis.in: Amin MB Edge SB Greene FL AJCC cancer staging manual. American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL2018: 709-722
- Evaluation of current TNM classification of penile carcinoma.J Urol. 2008; 180: 933-938
- Development and external validation of a prognostic tool for prediction of cancer-specific mortality after complete loco-regional pathological staging for squamous cell carcinoma of the penis.BJU Int. 2015; 116: 734-743
- A modified histopathologic staging in penile squamous cell carcinoma predicts nodal metastasis and outcome better than the current AJCC staging.Am J Surg Pathol. 2020; 44: 1112-1117
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the penis. III. Treatment of regional lymph nodes.J Urol. 1993; 149: 492-497
- A comparative study of AJCC and the modified staging system in pT2/pT3 penile squamous cell carcinoma - A validation on an external data set.Histopathology. 2022; 80: 566-574