Sarcomatoid differentiation in patients diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (sRCC) imply aggressive behavior and often metastatic disease at the time of diagnosis. We aim to examine the overall survival (OS) in patients with sRCC using the National Cancer Database (NCDB).
Materials and Methods
We identified patients diagnosed with sRCC between 2010-2015. We employed Kaplan-Meier curves and multivariable Cox proportional hazards regression models to examine the impact of several potential risk factors on OS in patients diagnosed with sRCC.
In total, 8582 patients with renal cancer were found to have sarcomatoid differentiation, with 4105 patients (47.8%) being diagnosed with AJCC stage IV disease. The median OS was 17.2 months (IQR 5.4, 68.7 months). Compared to patients who did not undergo surgery, OS was significantly longer in patients undergoing partial or total nephrectomy across all stages. This result remained consistent on multivariable Cox proportional hazards regression adjusting for patient and tumor characteristics (Surgery: Hazard ratio 0.54, 95%Confidence interval 0.43 - 0.68, P < .001).
In our cohort sRCC was found to have an unfavorable median OS, which was mainly caused by the high number of cases diagnosed with late-stage disease. Additionally, surgery was associated with favorable OS across all stages. This study supports the notion that surgical therapy, even in the setting of cytoreductive surgery, provides a survival benefit in patients with sRCC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Genitourinary Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2019.CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; 69: 7-34
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68 (394-24)
- Surveillance strategies for renal cell carcinoma patients following nephrectomy.Rev urol. 2006; 8: 1-7
- Cytoreductive nephrectomy in patients with metastatic renal cancer: a combined analysis.J Urol. 2004; 171: 1071-1076
- Sarcomas and sarcomatoid and mixed malignant tumors of the kidney in adults. I.Cancer. 1968; 22: 545-550
- Epidemiology, biology and treatment of sarcomatoid RCC: current state of the art.World J Urol. 2019; 37: 115-123
- Comparison of oncologic outcomes between sarcomatoid and clear cell renal cell carcinoma.World J Urol. 2016; 34: 1429-1436
- Sarcomatoid renal carcinoma: the final common dedifferentiation pathway of renal epithelial malignancies.Pathology. 1999; 31: 185-190
- A review of prognostic pathologic features and algorithms for patients treated surgically for renal cell carcinoma.Clin Lab Med. 2005; 25: 433-464
- Sarcomatoid differentiation in renal cell carcinoma: a study of 101 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 25: 275-284
- Prognostic factors and survival of patients with sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 2002; 167: 65-70
- Outcomes of Patients with Renal Cell Carcinoma and Sarcomatoid Dedifferentiation treated with Nephrectomy and Systemic Therapies: Comparison between the Cytokine and Targeted Therapy Eras.J Urol. 2017; 198: 530-537
- Integrative molecular characterization of sarcomatoid and rhabdoid renal cell carcinoma.Nat Commun. 2021; 12: 808
- Efficacy and Safety of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab versus Sunitinib in first-line treatment of patients with Advanced Sarcomatoid Renal Cell Carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2021; 27: 78-86
- Predicting Oncologic outcomes in Renal Cell Carcinoma after Surgery.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 772-780
- Secondary data sources for health services research in urologic oncology.Urol Oncol. 2018; 36: 165-173
- Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma.Jclin oncol: official jAm Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 3635-3648
- Systematic Review of the role of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy in the Targeted Therapy Era and beyond: an individualized approach to Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2019; 75: 111-128
- Sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma: an examination of underlying histologic subtype and an analysis of associations with patient outcome.Am J Surg Pathol. 2004; 28: 435-441
- Metastatic sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy.J clinoncol: official jAm Soc Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 235-241
- Positive surgical margin following radical nephrectomy is an independent predictor of local recurrence and disease-specific survival.World J Surg Oncol. 2017; 15: 193
Published online: November 23, 2022
Accepted: November 20, 2022
Received in revised form: November 20, 2022
Received: October 8, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.