- •We retrospectively analyzed a cohort of 11 patients with a history of prior low dose rate brachytherapy who were treated with homogeneously dosed salvage stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT).
- •Three-year progression-free survival was 70.1%, while 3-year overall survival was 100%.
- •Late grade 2 and 3 genitourinary toxicity rates were 36.4% and 9.1%, respectively. Late grade 2 and 3 gastrointestinal toxicity rates were 0% and 9.1%, respectively.
- •Homogeneously dosed prostate SBRT can serve as a safe and effective salvage treatment for local recurrences following low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Prostate Cancer (Version 1.2023). National Comprehensive Cancer Network®. Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. Accessed October 7, 2022 Available online: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/prostate.pdf.
- Long-term prostate specific antigen stability and predictive factors of failure after permanent seed prostate brachytherapy.J Urol. 2018; 199: 120-125https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JURO.2017.07.089
- Diagnosis and management of local recurrence after low-dose-rate brachytherapy.Brachytherapy. 2015; 14: 124-130https://doi.org/10.1016/J.BRACHY.2014.08.046
- Patterns of local failure following prostate brachytherapy.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1759-1764https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JURO.2007.01.069
- Patterns of recurrence after low-dose-rate prostate brachytherapy: a population-based study of 2223 consecutive low- and intermediate-risk patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 745-751https://doi.org/10.1016/J.IJROBP.2014.12.014
- Detection of failure patterns using advanced imaging in patients with biochemical recurrence following low-dose-rate brachytherapy for prostate cancer.Brachytherapy. 2022; 21: 442-450https://doi.org/10.1016/J.BRACHY.2022.03.009
- A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Local Salvage Therapies After Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer (MASTER).Eur Urol. 2021; 80: 280-292https://doi.org/10.1016/J.EURURO.2020.11.010
- Long-term oncologic results of salvage radical prostatectomy for locally recurrent prostate cancer after radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 62: 448-453https://doi.org/10.1016/J.IJROBP.2004.09.049
- Role of salvage radical prostatectomy for recurrent prostate cancer after radiation therapy.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 8198-8203https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.03.1468
- Retreatment for local recurrence of prostatic carcinoma after prior therapeutic irradiation: efficacy and toxicity of HDR-Like SBRT.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020; 106: 291-299https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.10.014
- Salvage stereotactic body radiation therapy for local prostate cancer recurrence after radiation therapy: a retrospective multicenter study of the GETUG.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 105: 727-734https://doi.org/10.1016/J.IJROBP.2019.07.012